Tuesday 18 August 2009

Pre-Season Predictions.... again, something from football365.com

12/08/09

After a couple of weeks without football, most of my time was spent following the Tour de France. Well, the time has come around again and I'll be doing my predictions for this year.

I'll be reviewing my predictions at the end of the season in May and have a laugh at how badly I've failed.

Obvious one to start - who will win the title?

I've got it in my heart that Arsenal will win the title, just to be the surprise package of the season, BUT my head tells me that it would be Chelsea, even though I can't imagine the proud faces of Fat Frank and JT doing when they accomplish it.

Name the rest of the top four.

I've got to admit that I believe the top four won't be the usual top four with Manchester City breaking the mould. Something has got to give and I'm sorry to say this but Liverpool just do not have the quality back ups as the other teams. They should be hit by injuries in key positions (READ: Torres / Gerrard) and suffer a rough ride to the end of the season. Manure just have too much back up to fail, so I expect them to finish second behind Chelsea.

I'll have to state that Citeh are not in Europe this season and if they focus just on the league and FA Cup, they have more than enough players to fight for trophies.

Will Mickey Owen make a significant impact at Manchester United?

I've spoke to Ah Kah about this, so yes I expect him to have a significant impact. Most people rate players by their contributions and usually the easiest qualification of contribution would be goals scored. Mickey still looks like he's got 15 - 20 goals for the season, albeit not from starting positions, more like super sub roles. He won't really contribute much to the team though other than being the fox in the box target man.

Will Liverpool cope without Xabi Alonso?

No. This is the main reason I've rated them below Manure, the Arse, Chelsea and Citeh. Also, they do not have much reliable cover for Gerrard and Torres, how will they cope when either or both of them are out injured. We probably won't see the effects early into the season, but after Christmas, the strains of several cups will start to show.

Which of Man City's players will be the first to throw a wobbler (annoyed/upset)?

I would say definitely Adebayor - Even when Arsenal were performing he seemed to be unhappy about something or the other. I don't see much difference here especially when you have the competition of Santa Cruz, Tevez and Bellamy... Oh not to mention Robinho!

Who will go down?

This is a tough one. Especially after the debacle last year in the form of Newcastle and Middlesborough. Looking at the newly promoted teams, I would say Burnley definitely do not have the quality to stay in the Premier League. Of the teams remaining from last season, we can predict Portsmouth doing a Newcastle and self destructing. I would love to see Bolton go down as usual, but I would have to say Hull.

So teams to be relegated - Burnley, Hull and Portsmouth.

Which of the promoted three - if any - will surprise us, a la Stoke?

I have a hunch that Birmingham will go a long way. Alex McLeish has been in the Premier League before and he's suffered relegation. He won't be repeating the same mistake again. Also, Joe Hart is a good addition to the team, so hopefully with a sound defence, the will be able to surprise us ala Fulham last season.

First manager to go?

I've got a feeling that Paul Hart may just get sick and tired of running a body of skeleton bones. So, he'll probably do a runner and be replaced by the beginning of September.

Best and worst signings of the summer?

I guess best signings will be ones who prove their worth by scoring goals. There is not much choice of skilled strikers proving their worth in the top four, as they have stable partnerships already, so may I say Adebayor for Manchester Citeh? If you ask me in terms of actual form, I'll put my money on Joe Hart. He's got something to prove to Citeh - and since I said Birmingham would do good, he would be the best signing of the season.

The worst would again be another striker since it's always funny to state price of a striker in comparison to their game per goal ratio. So I would have to go for Kevin Doyle as I don't see him scoring a large number of goals the way he scored for Reading in their first appearence in the Premier League some years back. Also, I think Mick Mc Carthy sucks as a manager, so his head will be on the chopping board by Christmas.

Plainly on form, I would say Glen Johnson for Liverpool. He's more an attacking winger than a right back. He'll probably shine against smaller sides, but against the top 6, he'll probably be rubbish.

Which youngster will make a breakthrough?

I think Fabian Delph as I'm a supporter of Leeds United. Although there are some exciting young names in Zola's West Ham and they are always the people's 'second team'.

How far into the season will Harry Redknapp first use the phrase 'bare bones'?

He he... Does he always use bare bones? I suppose he'll use it coming into December when the season heats up and Spurs start cocking up.

Will the bonkers circus at Real Madrid succeed, or will it fall hilariously flat on its arse?

I don't like Madrid and I don't really like the buying of success. Call me traditional, but I really enjoy what Zola is doing at West Ham, nurturing the young ones through a strong academy.

So yes. Madrid to fall flat on their faces. Potential 2nd round packing from the Champions League.

No comments: