Sunday 4 May 2008

What do you think?



Has the buzz of the internet died? Has the use of mobile phones passed its commercial use?


Last night I was sitting at home playing with my phone and then I realised something. There are probably 5 numbers that I actually call from my phone book from time to time in the week. Other than that, its all just memories of another life, of another time. It got me thinking - Is it the same with the rest of my friends? Has technology taken its toll?

Last time, we used to be so excited receiving and writing emails, even short ones. But how many emails do we get daily? I know I get a lot from work - but from your friends? I guess snail mail had its advantages. It was not so quick, so efficient. Until the novelty of hearing from your friend wore off. Now, we enjoy our times meeting up probably once a year. We have several cliques of people - i.e. the UK clan, the Singapore Gang, The KL Lords and the Ipoh Boyz. The rest are scattered all around where ever their profession is required.

Of course we all meet and make new friends, but our bond is still there. Its kind of like the elections. Pre election, all the hype builds our mind for that one finale - that one date where all is settled. Then what?

Most of the people were very vocal and patriotic and nationalistic. But where are they now? The answer my friend - living their lives as usual. Let the politicians do the fighting from here on. That's their job. So, similarly the initial fads of Friendster, Multiply, Facebook, etc was so successful as it brought a new scope to keeping in touch. But do people REALLY want to keep in touch? Obviously they do, but not in a persistant manner. More of keeping updated through a more passive way, by reading blogs - knowing what is happening in the minds of their dear friends. Or reading the lastest comments or wall posts to know who they have been hanging out with.

Or has everyone grown old and tired of it all? Leave it to the young ones - its their niche anyway.

No comments: