Wednesday 15 October 2008

Death of the DVD Salesman



There was a time when I used to think that DVD salesmen were so cool. As a matter of fact, there was a time when I actually strive to look like a DVD salesman. I had the funky haircuts with the bright dyed hair. I had the designer pouch to match along with the attitude as well. Oh not to mention the name too!

Then when I came to the UK, I realised being recognised as a DVD salesman was a derogatory term used to describe Chinese people. It was weird as I am proud to be Chinese yet I despised being termed in such a manner.

I guess in some ways, overseas Chinese usually suffer from this confusion which is to be seen as Chinese or to be seen as more western? Some examples would be most if not all Chinese around the world are most definitely proud of the Olympics in Beijing recently.

However some resent the fact to being termed or viewed as the backward type usually made fun of.

It ends up such a dilemma - who are we really?

No comments: